Thursday, December 15, 2011

Old Memories Remind Me There Will Be New Ones...

I was watching Beauty and the Beast recently. It's funny because I was not allowed to watch the film when I was little, so I think I've only seen it once in its entirety. Anyway, the music in that film is spectacular, as is the score in Sleeping Beauty. I've always said I have to be Belle of all of the Disney princesses simply because I look most like her (I've got this odd pet peeve...you have to look like the princess you identify with, which is why I didn't claim Rapunzel in Tangled until the end when she becomes a brunette). Don't question it. It's just me. But I always pouted because I never identified with Belle, most likely because I hardly ever watched it. A couple of months ago, a dear friend commented on my FB wall that she had watched it with her family and thought of me because she is so stubborn and adventurous and unafraid to tell the Beast what she thinks. LOL

So I happened to watch it earlier this evening...and I found myself only half paying attention, but being drawn in  by the music. And the lyrics began to remind me of a time...a long time ago.




Now, you all may not get it or you may think I'm over-thinking things a bit or you may not even know what I'm talking about here.

I'm looking at stories differently. I didn't even realize that I've been sort of numb to plots and characters in stories this year. I typically identify strongly and easily with fictional characters, in case you didn't know because of my imagination and empathy.

So watching this film tonight reminded me of a couple of things and I'll go ahead and share those with you. Many of you know that my ex was my first serious boyfriend. Yes? Yes. That's bittersweet now because many lost memories were "first" memories. Well, while that is true, he wasn't my first love.

No, indeed.

So watching some of the scenes reminded me of some old, old memories...which prompted me to think...old memories are proof that new memories are constantly being formed (stating the obvious, I know, but this just hit me). So there will inevitably be new ones...new 'firsts'...I'm not stuck in some invisible rut in time as it sometimes feels and seems.

I remember...I'm remembering....

"...and now he's sweet and so unsure/I wonder why I didn't see it there before."

And then I'm remembering my sweet, silly parents....

"Well, who'd have thought? Well, bless my soul? Well, who'd have known? Well, who indeed?
It's so peculiar. Let's wait and see.
There may be something there that wasn't there before..."
"New and a bit alarming....who'd have ever thought that this could be..."

Mmmmm...just reading this brings back memories that make me blush and giggle....and I think this is a very good thing, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment